I am Dr. Kenneth Dumack, a biologist working in the field of microbiology. Already early in my career I started to explore the astonishing world of microorganisms. Currently, I investigate the ecology and evolution of protists. In particular, my research focuses on how protists interact with bacteria, fungi, and algae. This website is meant to give an overview of my publications, interests and qualifications.
Thesis: "Diversity of Amoebae in Tibetan Soils". Grade: "Excellent"
47. Junwei Hu, Mesfin Tsegaye Gebremikael, Bjorn Tytgat, Kenneth Dumack, Ummehani Hassi, Pezhman Salehi Hosseini, Steven Sleutel, Elie Verleyen, Stefaan De Neve (2021). "Combined selective gamma irradiation and pulverized soil inoculation for ecologically relevant soil microfauna studies" Applied Soil Ecology
46. Haitao Wang, Micha Weil, Kenneth Dumack, Dominik Zak, Diana Münch, Anke Günther, Gerald Jurasinski, Gesche Blume-Werry, Jürgen Kreyling, Tim Urich (2021). "Eukaryotic rather than prokaryotic microbiomes change over seasons in rewetted fen peatlands" FEMS Microbiology Ecology
45. Nina Pohl, Marcel Dominik Solbach, Kenneth Dumack (2021). "The wastewater protist Rhogostoma minus (Thecofilosea, Rhizaria) is abundant, widespread, and hosts Legionellales" Water Research
44. Xing Huang, Jianjun Wang, Kenneth Dumack, Weiping Liu, Qichun Zhang, Yan He, Hongji Di, Michael Bonkowski, Jianming Xu, Yong Li (2021). "Protists modulate fungal community assembly in paddy soils across climatic zones at the continental scale" Soil Biology and Biochemistry
43. Susanne Walden, Robin-Tobias Jauss, Kai Feng, Anna Maria Fiore-Donno, Kenneth Dumack, Stefan Schaffer, Ronny Wolf, Martin Schlegel, Michael Bonkowski (2021). "On the phenology of protists: Recurrent patterns reveal seasonal variation of protistan (Rhizaria: Cercozoa, Endomyxa) communities in tree canopies" FEMS Microbiology Ecology
42. Kenneth Dumack, Melanie Sapp, Tiemo von Steimker, Anna Tatjana Mänz, Laura E. Rose, Michael Bonkowski (2021). "A call for research: A resource of core microbial symbionts of the Arabidopsis thaliana microbiome ready and awaiting experimental exploration." Phytobiomes
41. Marcel Dominik Solbach, Michael Bonkowski, Kenneth Dumack (2021). "Novel endosymbionts in rhizarian amoebae imply universal infection of unrelated free-living amoebae by Legionellales." Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology
40. Lioba Rüger, Kai Feng, Kenneth Dumack, Jule Freudenthal, Yan Chen, Ruibo Sun, Monica Wilson, Peng Yu, Bo Sun, Ye Deng, Frank Hochholdinger, Doris Vetterlein, Michael Bonkowski (2021). "Assembly patterns of the rhizosphere microbiome along the longitudinal root axis of maize (Zea mays L.)" Frontiers in Microbiology
39. Samira Khanipour Roshan, Kenneth Dumack, Michael Bonkowski, Peter Leinweber, Ulf Karsten, Karin Glaser (2021). "Taxonomic and Functional Diversity of Heterotrophic Protists (Cercozoa and Endomyxa) from Biological Soil Crusts" Microorganisms
38. Kenneth Dumack, Michael Bonkowski (2021). "Protists in the Plant Microbiome: An Untapped Field of Research" In: Carvalhais L.C., Dennis P.G. (eds) "The Plant Microbiome." Methods in Molecular Biology, vol 2232. Humana, New York
37. Robin-Tobias Jauss, Susanne Walden, Anna Maria Fiore-Donno, Kenneth Dumack, Stefan Schaffer, Ronny Wolf, Martin Schlegel, Michael Bonkowski (2020). "From forest soil to the canopy: Increased habitat diversity does not increase species richness of Cercozoa and Oomycota in tree canopies" Frontiers in Microbiology
36. Kenneth Dumack, Clément Duckert, Raphaela Meinhardt, Enrique Lara, Michael Bonkowski (2020). "Description of Phaeobola aeris gen. nov., sp. nov (Rhizaria, Cercozoa, Euglyphida) Sheds Light on Euglyphida’s Dark Matter." The Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology
35. Ferry Siemensma, Maria Holzmann, Laure Apothéloz-Perret-Gentil, Steffen Clauß, Eckhard Voelcker, Wolfgang Bettighofer, Samira Khanipour Roshan, Susanne Walden, Kenneth Dumack, Jan Pawlowski (2020). "Broad sampling of monothalamids (Rhizaria, Foraminifera) gives further insight into diversity of non-marine Foraminifera" European Journal of Protistology
34. Samira Khanipour Roshan, Kenneth Dumack, Michael Bonkowski, Ulf Karsten, Karin Glaser (2020). "Stramenopiles and Cercozoa dominate the heterotrophic protist community of biological soil crusts irrespective of edaphic factors" Pedobiologia
33. Hüsna Öztoprak, Susanne Walden, Thierry Heger, Michael Bonkowski, Kenneth Dumack (2020). "What Drives the Diversity of the Most Abundant Terrestrial Cercozoan Family (Rhogostomidae, Cercozoa, Rhizaria)?" Microorganisms
32. Enrique Lara, Kenneth Dumack, Joaquina María García-Martín, Alexander Kudryavtsev, Anush Kosakyan (2020). "Amoeboid protist systematics: a report on the “Systematics of amoeboid protists” symposium at the VIIIth ECOP/ISOP meeting in Rome, 2019" European Journal of Protistology
31. Kenneth Dumack, Diana Görzen, Ruben Gonzalez-Miguéns, Ferry Siemensma, Daniel J G Lahr, Enrique Lara, Michael Bonkowski (2020). "Molecular investigation of Phryganella acropodia Hertwig et Lesser, 1874 (Arcellinida, Amoebozoa)" European Journal of Protistology
30. Maike Rossmann, Juan E Pérez-Jaramillo, Vanessa N Kavamura, Josiane B Chiaramonte, Kenneth Dumack, Anna Maria Fiore-Donno, Lucas W Mendes, Márcia M C Ferreira, Michael Bonkowski, Jos M Raaijmakers, Tim H Mauchline, Rodrigo Mendes (2020). "Multitrophic interactions in the rhizosphere microbiome of wheat: from bacteria and fungi to protists" FEMS Microbiology Ecology
29. Kenneth Dumack, Kai Feng, Sebastian Flues, Melanie Sapp, Susanne Schreiter, Rita Grosch, Laura Rose, Ye Deng, Kornelia Smalla, Michael Bonkowski (2020). "What drives the assembly of plant-associated protist microbiomes?" BioRxiv (preprint server)
28. Kenneth Dumack, Ferry Siemensma (2020). "Shell Colour in Cercozoa; a Simple Trait to Distinguish Thecofilosea from Imbricatea?" Protist
27. Kenneth Dumack, Julia Pundt, Michael Bonkowski (2019). "Transfer of the Thecate Amoeba Lecythium mutabilis to a Novel Genus Omnivora (Fiscullidae, Thecofilosea, Cercozoa)" The Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology
26. Ferry Siemensma, Kenneth Dumack (2019). "SSU rDNA Phylogeny Indicates the Scale-lacking Trivalvulariida ord. nov. as a Sister Group to the Euglyphida (Cercozoa, Rhizaria)" Protist
25. Kenneth Dumack, Anna Maria Fiore-Donno, David Bass, Michael Bonkowski (2019). "Making sense of environmental sequencing data: ecologically important functional traits of the protistan groups Cercozoa and Endomyxa (Rhizaria)" Molecular Ecology Resources
24. Efthymia Ntakou, Ferry Siemensma, Michael Bonkowski, Kenneth Dumack (2019). "The Dancing Star: Reinvestigation of Artodiscus saltans (Variosea, Amoebozoa) Penard 1890" Protist
23. Anna Maria Fiore-Donno, Tim Richter-Heitmann, Florine Degrune, Kenneth Dumack, Kathleen M. Regan, Sven Marhan, Runa S. Boeddinghaus, Matthias C. Rillig, Michael W. Friedrich, Ellen Kandeler and Michael Bonkowski (2019). "Functional Traits and Spatio-Temporal Structure of a Major Group of Soil Protists (Rhizaria: Cercozoa) in a Temperate Grassland" Frontiers in Microbiology
22. Michael Bonkowski, Kenneth Dumack, Anna Maria Fiore-Donno (2019). "The Protists in Soil — A Token of Untold Eukaryotic Diversity" Modern Soil Microbiology
21. Florine Degrune, Kenneth Dumack, Anna Maria Fiore-Donno, Michael Bonkowski, Moisés A Sosa-Hernández, Michael Schloter, Timo Kautz, Doreen Fischer, Matthias C Rillig (2019). "Distinct communities of Cercozoa at different soil depths in a temperate agricultural field" FEMS Microbiology Ecology
20. Enrique Valencia, Nicolas Gross, José L Quero, Carlos P Carmona, Victoria Ochoa, Beatriz Gozalo, Manuel Delgado-Baquerizo, Kenneth Dumack, Kelly Hamonts, Brajesh K Singh, Michael Bonkowski, Fernando T Maestre (2018). "Cascading effects from plants to soil microorganisms explain how plant species richness and simulated climate change affect soil multifunctionality" Global Change Biology
19. Kenneth Dumack, Julia Pundt, Michael Bonkowski (2018). "Food Choice Experiments Indicate Selective Fungivorous Predation in Fisculla terrestris (Thecofilosea, Cercozoa)" The Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology
18. Kenneth Dumack, Christopher Kahlich, Daniel J G Lahr, Michael Bonkowski (2018). "Reinvestigation of Phryganella paradoxa (Arcellinida, Amoebozoa) Penard, 1902" The Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology
17. Bui Van Bac, Kenneth Dumack, Michael Bonkowski (2018). "Two new species and one new record for the genus Copris (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae: Scarabaeinae) from Vietnam with a key to Vietnamese species" European Journal of Entomology 115:167-191
16. Sebastian Flues, Malte Blokker, Kenneth Dumack, Michael Bonkowski (2018). "Diversity of Cercomonad Species in the Phyllosphere and Rhizosphere of Different Plant Species with a Description of Neocercomonas epiphylla (Cercozoa, Rhizaria) a Leaf-Associated Protist" The Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology
15. Kenneth Dumack, Ferry Siemensma, Michael Bonkowski (2018). "Rediscovery of the Testate Amoeba Genus Penardeugenia (Thaumatomonadida, Imbricatea)." Protist 1:29-42
14. Kenneth Dumack, Michael Bonkowski, Steffen Clauß, Eckhard Völcker (2017). "Phylogeny and Redescription of the Testate Amoeba Diaphoropodon archeri (Chlamydophryidae, Thecofilosea, Cercozoa), De Saedeleer 1934, and Annotations on the Polyphyly of Testate Amoebae with Agglutinated Tests in the Cercozoa" The Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology
13. Duong Nguyen, Joaquín Abolafia, Kenneth Dumack, Michael Bonkowski, Reyes Peña-Santiago (2017). "Two known species of Aporcelinus Andrássy, 2009 (Dorylaimida: Aporcelaimidae) from Vietnam, with the first molecular study of the genus" Nematology
12. Kenneth Dumack, Sebastian Flues, Karoline Hermanns, Michael Bonkowski (2017). "Rhogostomidae (Cercozoa) from soils, roots and plant leaves (Arabidopsis thaliana): Description of Rhogostoma epiphylla sp. nov. and R. cylindrica sp. nov." European Journal of Protistology 60:76–86
11. Kenneth Dumack, Alexander P. Mylnikov, Michael Bonkowski (2017). "Evolutionary Relationship of the Scale-Bearing Kraken (incertae sedis, Monadofilosa, Cercozoa, Rhizaria): Combining Ultrastructure Data and a Two-Gene Phylogeny" Protist
10. Kenneth Dumack, Paul Mausbach, Mona Hegmann, Michael Bonkowski (2017). "Polyphyly in the Thecate Amoeba Genus Lecythium (Chlamydophryidae, Tectofilosida, Cercozoa), Redescription of its Type Species L. hyalinum, Description of L. jennyae sp. nov. and the Establishment of Fisculla gen. nov. and Fiscullidae fam. nov." Protist 168:294-310
9. Christophe Seppey, David Singer, Kenneth Dumack, Bertrand Fournier, Lassaâd Belbahri, Edward Mitchell, Enrique Lara (2017). "Distribution patterns of soil microbial eukaryotes suggests widespread algivory by phagotrophic protists as an alternative pathway for nutrient cycling." Soil Biology and Biochemistry 112:68-76
8. Kenneth Dumack, Hüsna Öztoprak, Lioba Rüger, Michael Bonkowski (2017). "Shedding light on the polyphyletic thecate amoeba genus Plagiophrys: Transition of some of its species to Rhizaspis (Tectofilosida, Thecofilosea, Cercozoa) and the establishment of Sacciforma gen. nov. and Rhogostomidae fam. nov. (Cryomonadida, Thecofilosea, Cercozoa)." Protist 168:92-108
7. Tice AK, Shadwick LL, Fiore-donno AM, Geisen S, Kang S, Schuler GA, Spiegel FW, Wilkinson KA, Bonkowski M, Dumack K, Lahr DJG, Voelcker E, Clauß S, Zhang J, Brown MW (2016). "Expansion of the molecular and morphological diversity of Acanthamoebidae (Centramoebida, Amoebozoa) and identification of a novel life cycle type within the group" Biology Direct
6. Kenneth Dumack, Christina Baumann, Michael Bonkowski (2016). "A Bowl with Marbles: Revision of the Thecate Amoeba Genus Lecythium (Chlamydophryidae, Tectofilosida, Cercozoa, Rhizaria) Including a Description of Four New Species and an Identification Key." Protist
5. Kenneth Dumack, Robert Koller, Bettina Weber, Michael Bonkowski (2016). "Estimated heterotrophic protist abundances and their diversity in South African biological soil crusts." South African Journal of Science
4. Kenneth Dumack, Julia Schuster, David Bass, Michael Bonkowski (2016). "A Novel Lineage of 'Naked Filose Amoebae'; Kraken carinae gen. nov. sp. nov. (Cercozoa) with a Remarkable Locomotion by Disassembly of its Cell Body." Protist
3. Kenneth Dumack, Marina Müller, Michael Bonkowski (2016). "Description of Lecythium terrestris sp. nov. (Chlamydophryidae, Cercozoa), a Soil Dwelling Protist Feeding on Fungi and Algae." Protist
2. Stefan Geisen, Robert Koller, Maike Hünninghaus, Kenneth Dumack, Tim Urich, Michael Bonkowski (2016). "The soil food web revisited: Diverse and widespread mycophagous soil protists." Soil Biology and Biochemistry
1. Walter S. Andriuzzi, Phuong-Thi Ngo, Stefan Geisen, Aidan M. Keith, Kenneth Dumack, Thomas Bolger, Michael Bonkowski, Lijbert Brussaard, Jack H. Faber, Abad Chabbi, Cornelia Rumpe, Olaf Schmidt (2015). "Organic matter composition and the protist and nematode communities around anecic earthworm burrows." Biology and Fertility of Soils doi:10.1007/s00374-015-1056-6
Conferences & Honours
39th annual meeting of the German Society for Protozoology
Oral presentation "Shell Colour in Cercozoa; a Simple Trait to Distinguish Imbricatea from Thecofilosea?"
Two of my students, Nina Pohl and Marcel Dominik Solbach, presented our research and were awarded by the German Society of Protozoology with the 1st place for the Best Poster Presentation (Nina Pohl) and 3rd place for the Best Student Presentation (Marcel Dominik Solbach).
4th Thünen Symposium on Soil Metagenomics
I was honoured with the FEMS European Young Scientists Meeting Grant.
Oral Presentation "Novel Insight into the Soil Food Web – Heterotrophic Protists Feeding on Algae and Fungi."
VIII European Congress of Protistology - ISOP Joint meeting
Invited symposium speaker.
Two of my students, Hüsna Öztoprak and Marcel Solbach, were awarded with the Holz-Conner Award by the International Society of Protistologists.
8th Programming for Evolutionary Biology Course
Intensive three weeks programming class, including bioinformatics and statistics, i.e. python, R, genome assembly etc.
38th annual meeting of the German Society for Protozoology
Oral presentation "Assessing the plant-associated protist microbiome"
One of my students, Hüsna Öztoprak, presented our research and was awarded by the German Society of Protozoology with the 3rd place for the Best Poster Presentation .
Joint conference of the Phycological Society of America and the International Society of Protistologists 2018
One of my students, Christopher Kahlich, presented our research at the joined ISOP/ PSA conference. The work was awarded by the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, calling it of "exceptional potential interest". Additionally Christopher was awared by the International Society of Protistologists with the Holz-Conner Award and the Jahn/Bovee Award for the Best Student Presentation.
37th annual meeting of the German Society for Protozoology
Laureate of the Karl-Gottlieb-Grell Award for an outstanding PhD thesis in protistology
Invited plenary presentation "Novel lineages in Cercozoa and their feeding strategies".
Recipient of a Mobility Grant by the University of Cologne for a short term research stay at the University of São Paulo, Brazil.
15th International Congress of Protistology
Oral presentation "Where does the Kraken belong?"
Poster presentation "The testate amoeba Penardeugenia is no chlamydophryid but imbricatean." Recipient of the Holz-Conner Award.
36th annual meeting of the German Society for Protozoology
Oral presentation "Where does the Kraken belong?"
Poster presentation "The testate amoeba Penardeugenia is no chlamydophryid but imbricatean."
Participant in the Barcelona Eukref Workshop focussing on Amoebozoa and Rhizaria.
Moscow Forum «PROTIST–2016»
Oral presentation "The Chlamydophryidae revisited with special focus on the genus Lecythium"
Poster presentation "The base of cercomonad radiation is still in for a surprise, Kraken gen. nov." Recipient of the Holz-Conner Award.
Under the honorable mentions for both, the best posters and the best talks.
35th annual meeting of the German Society for Protozoology
Oral presentation "A bowl with marbles; the fungal and algal-eating amoeba genus Lecythium (Chlamydophryidae, Tectofilosida, Cercozoa, Rhizaria) revisited; phylogeny and the description of four new species"
Poster presentation "The base of cercomonad radiation is still in for a surprise, Kraken gen. nov." Second winner of the presentation award and the poster award.
Guest talk in the University of Göttingen, invited by Valentyna Krashevska
Title: "Lecythium, the neglected testate amoebae. Insight into phylogeny, morphology and ecology with focus on L. terrestris sp. nov."
34th annual meeting of the German Society for Protozoology
Oral presentation "Lecythium terrestris, its morphology, phylogeny and autecology."
Winner of the presentation award.